Friday, June 10, 2016

Goodbye Ghana

        I can't believe how fast time has flown by! I am still so in shock everyday that I have lived here for a month and a half. It's weird how normal things have become. This is life now. This is what I know.
        It's 100% normal for us to go to the fruit stands and get pineapple and fruit every single day and never get sick of it. It's normal for us all to know each other's health. Whether someone is constipated or has diarrhea, everyone knows. It's normal to be celebrities everywhere we go, especially to little kids who get sooo excited when an Obruni says hi to them. It's normal for people to touch our arms or pinch us when we walk around just because we are white. It's normal to buy things out the window while driving and to walk to the store across the street from where we live anytime we want. It's normal to eat ice-cream everyday, but also to expect to eat a whole lot of rice everyday too. It's normal to wake up sweating, and to return home at night, still sweating. It's normal to never do my hair or makeup. It's normal to take a cold shower with only a few trickles coming out, or even to shower from a bucket. It's normal to hand wash my clothes every night and hang them to dry but it's even more normal to have none of our clothes smell good at all because they don't dry so well. It's normal to come downstairs and find that breakfast is cold toast and hot chocolate...like always, with an occasional oatmeal day. It's normal to not have wifi, power, or running water all the time.
This was one bathroom that was way out in the open that we
Used. You just stand over by the right side corner and
hope nobody watches you.
It's normal to go to the bathroom just about anywhere. I think we have used every toilet or bathroom facility ever invented by now and it's always a group effort to decide how we use it. It's normal to finish every handshake with a snap and it's normal to say medasi instead of thank you. It's normal to get hissed at and to see men and sometimes even women going to the bathroom on the side of the road. The crazy driving, strange smells, and long car rides have become normal as well. Eating things with our hands or out of a bag is normal and it's normal to only drink water from a bag. It's normal to see everyone carrying things on their heads, even very small children. It's normal to spend an average of 2 dollars a day on food and snacks. Sleeping with a bug net and seeing goats and chickens everywhere is normal. I could go on a on, but to some it up, all the things that have become normal, are things I would have never thought would be normal anytime in my life. I love Ghana so much. I love how comfortable I feel here and that I can call the Telecenter home(the Telecenter is the place we live which is like a giant guest house pretty much). It's such an adventure being here and I am grateful for all the good and bad times! We have created so many memories that I know I will never forget. If anyone has the chance to go to Africa for a few weeks, I would strongly recommend it.
        I've really learned that stuff really is just stuff and that it is important to take notice of all the little things we are blessed with. Whether it's air condition, running water, hot water, water pressure, wifi, soap, toilets, washing machines, consistent power, clean houses etc.. The list goes on! I have really felt Gods love for me and His love for all his children while I have been here and I am so grateful for that. During hard days I felt God send me little messages my way telling me He knows me. I know I needed to come to Africa at this time and I feel so externally grateful that I was able to. I am thankful again for all those people who helped me out and donated to my trip so that I can be here learning and serving Gods children. Although the past 6 weeks have been incredible and I know I will miss all the wonderful people and experiences, I can definitely say I am excited to board my flight back to the United States in a few hours. I know it's time to go and that's okay. I can't wait to be back with family and friends and of course my wonderful fiancé who has been so helpful while I have been here as well. Goodbye Ghana. Africa will forever have a place in my heart.

About a week ago I met these cute kids and gave them balls to play with. Today I found them again, still playing with the balls. They were scared of us white people at first but I think we are best friends now :)
Just all using the "washroom" together, aka, urinating on some tile flooring. It's always an adventure when we have to go to the bathroom


This is the last friend I played with before getting in the van for the last time after our last day of outreach.


She wanted to come with us too. 

I may have shared this already but this is literally our breakfast every single day. 

I have never seen so many mango trees in my life. Actually, before this trip I don't know if I have ever really seen a mango tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment