Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Familiar Place


I don't love this picture but We bought African skirts for $6
        Today marks one week since I have been in Ghana! And today, we got to go to church! After a long hot week of craziness and new things, it was nice to be able to go somewhere familiar, and to feel the spirit so strongly. The first 45 minutes were kind of awful. The power was out and the chapel was pretty full, so it was beyond hot. People were literally dripping sweat. I could feel sweat roll down my back. Disgusting, I know. As I sat there I just prayed to have a spiritual experience while there but because of the heat, my eyes felt heavy and I was exhausted and just about asleep. Luckily, during the third speaker, the power came on and the fans started up (no air condition here) and you just hear everyone from our group whisper "yes!!" Haha the fans were helpful. The power stayed on for just about the rest of the time minus a few minutes here and there so that was awesome.
        Anyway, this ward is using a new "Come, Follow Me" teaching program for church and it is super cool. I guess only a few stakes in the world are doing it right now. It connects all classes on Sunday with personal study and family home evening and provides questions to ponder and things like that. Well anyway the lesson in relief society was on standing as a witness of the truth by living the gospel of Jesus Christ and it was just so incredible to hear the testimonies from the women here. Their faith is so strong and they desire to build up the kingdom of God so badly. It was such a blessing to be able to take a break from the world and feel at home for a little bit. They gave us a book, so tomorrow we are having our own FHE and going to do our part to participate in the discussion better next week.
        I love this gospel so much. I am grateful for the peace it brings and direction it provides. I know this gospel is true. I love how everywhere in the world, church is the same and we can feel the Spirit wherever we go. I am grateful I was raised with so many luxuries such as air conditioning and power all the time. We are so blessed to live in a country that is so fortunate. I am grateful for my loving parents who have allowed me to come and have this incredible experience, especially my mom on this Mother's Day. Sorry I am gone for another Mother's Day! I love you! Thanks for all you do for me and the support you provide me with especially when I want to do crazy things like go to Africa!

Happy Mother's Day Mom!! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment