Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Clinic and Getting Sick


        On Monday morning four of us decided to attend the ward jog at 5am! (It was a holiday in Ghana and so they were having a ward jog and then activities after but since we had to leave for a clinic we couldn't go to the activities.) anyway we get to the church around 5:15 and are the first ones there because Ghanaians are always super late to everything. We end up leaving at 6. At first it was easy and I was thinking "oh this isn't too bad" but then they all took off sprinting! Up hill! The little tiny ones were destroying us. Some didn't even have shoes on! Luckily they waited at the top for us white kids to catch up, and one guy stayed with us to keep us safe. Anyway, we ran along the freeway and at one point we crossed the freeway into the middle where we exercised and stretched for a little while. Right In the middle of the freeway! It was crazy haha it was a lot of fun though. They are all soo fit. At one point they had us all get into a squat on our toes only and see how long we could all go for. Well all us white kids had shaking legs after not too long and they all went forever! It was ridiculous haha (side note: in NY the taxis don't really stop when you cross in front of them. Here, they really don't stop! They don't even slow down! It's insane!)
        Everywhere we go there are always people, mostly little kids, who giggle and point at us and yell "Obruni! Obruni!!" Which pretty much just means white person haha. Apparently it's perfectly acceptable to point back and say "Bibini!" Which means black person in Twi.
        Anyway, we hurried home and showered really quick and then ate breakfast (toast and milo(hot chocolate) or juice as always) and then headed to our first day at the St. Thomas Clinic. Today we went to Akotolante. It was so much fun! We got there and the optometrist was like "what can you guys help me with? What are you specialized in?" And we were all just like uhhhh we know nothing. So he taught us everything and then we each took a job for the day. The people first got educated outside and were given a little piece of paper with their name and info on it. Then they came inside and went to the first station where they got their eyes checked by covering their right eye and then left to see if they could read the sign from afar (we use the E chart). Then after that they got checked by the local optometrist where one person was entering all their info into a laptop and then they came to me! So at my station two people from my group were organizing the glasses cuz they were all mixed up. The person gave their paper to me and I looked at it and got the glasses with the correct prescription and the medication that the doctor prescribed for them. Seth(the local St. Thomas Clinic worked guy) talked to them while I was getting it to tell them about how much it cost and how to do it and stuff and them told me how much their glasses would be because that varied. Then they gave me money
After the first day. We drink water
From these water pouch things.
and I gave them change. All of it was pretty cheap for them too. The examination was free, glasses range from 3-7 Cedis and medication was 2-20 Cedis depending on what it was. 1 dollar is like 3.7 Cedis or something like that. Seth night us pineapple at one point and we ate some snacks when we could but we worked through lunch and all. No breaks. It was good though, really busy! Overall it was a really fun day. Long. Hot. And sweatyyyy. But it was really incredible to be able to see the reaction to those who were able to see clearly again. It was definitely a spiritual experience that I am so grateful I get to participate in for the next six weeks.
        When we were leaving I gave the kids some candy and beach balls and they loved it. The next 15 mins of packing up and leaving consisted of "Madame Kiera!! Madame Kiera!!" And them wanting more of the balls haha it was adorable.
        For dinner we went to get Chinese food from a place everyone was telling us about, but I didn't think it was that great. Probably because in America it's always Chinese people working at those places and here it was all Ghanaians. Afterwards we had a little party because it was Sydney's birthday so that was fun.
        Today I woke up and was excited for our 2.5 hour car ride to the clinic we would be working in today. I was excited to try another job and serve more people. Well we went down for breakfast, I took a bite of toast and realized my stomach was not so happy. I didn't feel super sick but I felt like I was going to throw up, so I went up to my room to lay in the air condition and under the fan until our ride came to get us. Well as soon as I walked in I ran to the bathroom and threw up. Between drinking water from a bag, helping hundreds of people in the hot sun, thick humidity, and high heat, eating Chinese food, eating pineapple which we forgot we can't eat because you don't peal it (I mostly ate it too cuz I was working with Seth the whole time), using the water to rinse my toothbrush on accident and everything in between, I guess my stomach didn't like it too much. I ended up sleeping for 5 hours until I was too hot and sweaty in my room. The power was off during the whole day and so it was like 95 degrees in my room and my little fan was not sufficient so I went outside for a while and that is where I relaxed the rest of the day.
        I think I am fine though! I don't really feel sick anymore. And it's okay that I missed one day because I still have 6 weeks to go. Everyday. Even some Saturday's. Life is good and I still love Ghana!!
The Ghanaian meal I had on Sunday 


No comments:

Post a Comment