Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Ghana Adventures continue!

"She is called Princess. She is 3 years"
        Friday was the last day with the St. Thomas eye clinic for me for a little while. The past two weeks we stayed in the same groups but from here on out it will change week to week. The first week went by SO slow but now time is flying and I am loving everyday more and more. It's been quite the adventure. Everyone has been sick to some degree. For me, if I take my malaria pills and don't eat something right away, then I throw up. After it happening a couple times, I learned. Luckily I didn't stay home because I realize the problem and so now it's almost normal for me to throw my pills up sometimes haha sorry for the details! It's just part of the experience because it doesn't phase me anymore. Friday I felt sick in the morning but went anyway and am so glad I did because I made so many new friends! I saw one so I walked over to her and then all these kids gathered and just started cheering and yelling "Obruni! Obruni! Obruni!" And then before they knew my name they would call me "Madam Obruni." I love them so I shared some suckers and balloons.

        We all had Saturday off, so John, one of the crystal eye clinic staff members, took us to cape coast for the day! It was quite the party, since all 13 of us easily fit in the car. The whole drive was an adventure because as I have said before, driving here is insane. We drove through rivers, backyards, bushes, on the wrong side of the road for a while to pass traffic, and even got into a line of cops and like a minister or someone well known that they were making way for. That line was going fast so we jumped behind them to pass everyone up.
        We first went to a canopy walk in the Kakum National Park, which was so much fun! It was a little terrifying because even with as safe as they said it was, I didn't always feel very safe haha. It consisted of 7 bridges and was so incredible! Being in a beautiful African rainforest home to elephants was a dream. It didn't end up being hot, but with the thick humidity up there, we were all sweating more than ever so that was gross. It was amazing to see all the beautiful green trees and listen to the birds and animals moving around. While I'm the rainforest, we got to try a cocoa bean, like the fruit part of it, and that was yummy. Overall, the canopy walk was quite the adventure and I am so glad John took us there.
        Afterwards we went to the Cape Coast Slave Trade Castle again and went on the tour. As the tour guide took us around, you could feel the mood change from place to place. It was so sad to hear about the terrible conditions the slaves went through there. But it was definitely a spiritual experience and a chance to learn even more about the Atonement.
        On the way home, there was so much traffic and it was so hectic, I saw my life flash before my eyes multiple times and literally screamed out loud hahaha but hey, I'm still alive so it's okay!
        Today at church, the area seventy general authority came and spoke in sacrament and it was the best talk. He spirit was so strong as he told the congregation how much President Monson loves the people in Africa. The general authority said that it took 30 years to make 60 stakes but from there it took 2 years to make 100 stakes in the West Africa area. The missionary work of the people here is such an example to me.
There are about 35 primary kids!

        Later, the primary came into relief society to give a presentation for Mother's Day since there wasn't time last week or something. Let me tell you, it was the cutest thing in the entire world. They sang the same songs we sing in America, but with super cute heavy accents and so loud and cheerily. At the end, they gave all the women pens! That's right, not chocolate. A pen. They said they had a small budget but they wanted to give us all something that would last. My heart melted and I was filled with so much gratitude. Never again do I want to hear any woman complain about not getting chocolate on Mother's Day, or only getting one chocolate.
        I love Africa so much. Everyday I still am in awe that I am here, living amongst so many wonderful people, having the adventure of my life. We are in tears laughing at the funny things that happen everyday, and I know that this is definitely a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. I love my Ghana adventures.


I can't get over how pretty it is here.
The cocoa bean fruit we ate! 






No comments:

Post a Comment